A fast-acting, rinse-out conditioner that softens, detangles and strengthens hair.
- 195g Distilled Water or Hydrosol
- 12.5g Cetrimonium Chloride
- 7.5g Glycerine
- 1.25g Guar Gum
- 15g Coconut Oil
- 10g BTMS-25 (conditioning emulsifying wax)
- 5g Cetyl Alcohol
Cool Down 1:
- 2.5g Hydrolysed Protein
- 2.5g D Panthenol (vitamin B5)
- 2.5g Preservative Eco (broad-spectrum preservative)
- 2.5g Vitamin E Oil (antioxidant)
- 2.5g (max) Essential Oils (optional)
Cool Down 2:
- Citric Acid (pH Adjuster)
- Measure out your water phase ingredients: Water or Hydrosol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Glycerine and Guar Gum. Mix the glycerine and guar gum together combining all the ingredients in a heatproof container.
- Measure out your oil phase ingredients: Coconut Oil, BTMS and Cetyl Alcohol and combine together in another heatproof container
- Gently melt both phases over low heat using a double boiler or bain-marie
- Once the two phases have completely melted and no solids remain, mix together and transfer to a flat surface
- Using either an immersion blender or whisk, continue to blend until the conditioner has thickened and emulsified. As the mixture cools the conditioner will develop a creamier, glossy consistency
- Once the condition has cooled and you’re happy with the consistency continue to the cool down stage
- Use a scale to add the Cool Down 1 ingredients: D Panthenol, Hydrolysed Protein, Preservative, Antioxidant and any Essential oils for fragrance
- Give a short, quick mix either by hand or using a blender just to ensure all the ingredients are evenly distributed
- Check and adjust your pH by using either pH strips or a meter. Add a small sprinkle of citric acid, whisk thoroughly between additions until you reach a pH in the range of 4.5 - 6.
- Store your Rinse-Out Conditioner in a pump or squeeze bottle for easy access. This conditioner should last up to 6 months
This recipe makes 250g. See the interactive conditioner formula calculator to customise this recipe and amount.
What are Rinse Out Conditioners?
Rinse out conditioners “classic” or traditional conditioners that are applied to wet hair after shampooing and rinsed out after a couple of minutes. They’re fast acting, intensive treatments, designed to replenish your hair moisture levels, seals the cuticle and help with detangling, strengthening and improving the look and feel of your hair!
Rinse out conditioners offer immediate benefits for your hair, but they are typically only active for a short period of time before being washed out. Alternating between rinse out conditioners and more intensive deep conditioning treatments ensures long term healthy hair.
Benefits of Rinse-out Conditioners
Regular use of rinse out conditioners can greatly improve the overall health and appearance of your hair, below are some of my favourite benefits:
- Fasting acting conditioning boost to hair
- Restores hydration and elasticity to hair
- Aids detangling by providing slip and lubrication for hair
- Improves manageability of hair, softening and coating each strand to reduce the chance of knots and breakage
- Smooths the cuticle layer and reduces frizz
- Improves the appearance of hair, boosts shine, moisture and definition